Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My camera

I've had a couple questions about the camera/lenses I use. To be honest, I'm surprised anyone thinks I take pictures that are remotely cool. I think I am as far from a photographer as they come, have no creativity nor an "eye" for neat shots. I think I get lucky with the light in K's room. Honestly.

We have a Nikon D80. About a month after we bought our camera, Nikon came out with the newer D90. So we paid the same amount for a lesser model. Just our luck. From what I've read, the body is slightly less important than the lenses you put on it. (Remember, I am far from an expert.) I mostly keep a 50mm/f1.8 lens on the camera. Since the f-stop goes so low, I can use the camera in more indoor situations. It is a fixed length, so if you want to zoom in and out you have to move your feet, but I think it takes such nice shots of the baby's face. I use the kit lens that came with our camera (18-55mm) if I need a wider shot, like for taking pictures of the nursery or his monthly photos. The space between the chair and dresser is too small to use the 50mm lens.

DSC_0420

A lot of photos are taken on his changing table for 2 reasons:

1. The light is great because of the window
2. He loves the changing table and I get many smiles and coos while he's up there

DSC_0289
(Safe baby buckled onto his changing pad)

So I plop him down and shoot away.

DSC_0293
DSC_0294
DSC_0295
DSC_0296
DSC_0297
DSC_0298
DSC_0299
DSC_0300
DSC_0301

The End.

I think the key is to have nice light and a nice lens. You can buy a 50mm lens for Canons as well as Nikons and at around $120 it's a steal!

So that's my set-up for taking pictures of the boy. You'll notice I left his newborn photos to be taken by professionals because I am not one. I just know what works for me.

P.S. Look how big Kasper is getting. I say that every week and will continue to do so until he's in high school I'm sure, but WOW!

DSC_0427

P.P.S. (Or is it P.S.S.?) My necklace in the picture above was a gift for having our new baby. I'm obsessed with it and find myself admiring it even in pictures!

1 comments:

Unknown February 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM  

Jess - you DO take amazing photos - thanks so much for this post - I really wanted to know all about your camera/lenses/magic etc. Thanks so much and keep posting, we love Kasper photos and you guys of course too.

Blog Archive

Contributors

About This Blog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP