Madrid, Day 1
Erin reminded me I didn't mention the excitement we had our last night in Toledo! We got home from dinner to a BAT in Hillari and Erin's room. The thing was doing hot laps around the room while we freaked out. Eventually it went back into its hidey hole, they got their stuff out and we closed the door to trap it in.
Ok, so we got into Madrid and headed for our hotel. It was perfect to stay in an AirBnB in Toledo and it was perfect to stay in a hotel in Madrid. We stayed right across the street from the Royal Palace and we had a suite so we had lots of room. The hotel was actually amazing and we highly recommend it - Principe Pio.

We got right out to Explore. I don't know if I've said this already but we didn't spend any time in Madrid if we didn't have to. It was a hub to go other places more exciting. Since we were back and older, we decided to check it out. It's not Toledo but we did have some amazing food in Madrid. We walked through the Royal Palace area to the Plaza Mayor.
LOOK AT ALL THAT YOUNG MANCHEGO.
I drank a lot of vinto de veranos in Spain. I had never heard of it before but it's basically red wine and Fanta limon. Chef's kiss.
Erin was our tour guide and she really did find the best of the best. Gotta try the churros at San Gines.
We thought maybe this was Pitbull. I don't think so but he had a bunch of people taking his picture.
We walked all the way to Retiro Park. It was a nice park but we all had to go to the bathroom and they were closed so it was a panicked visit, honestly.
Hey! There's the Prado! Didn't go in. Been there.
Ok, for dinner we wanted to get paella. We settled on a place with a lot of good reviews - Los Secrets de Lola. I can't overstate how weird this place was.
This would be our album cover if we were a band. We had walked like 25,000 steps by this point.

We got there as it opened. It eventually filled up and the paella was actually bomb so all's well that end's well but wow that place was nuts.
As we walked out, there was a couple there on a date holding hands at a table which a giant Alf stuffed animal seated in the third chair. We all laughed together.
That was such a long day but there were TONS of laughs. I was happy we were giving Madrid a go. I got to FaceTime the kids when we got back to the hotel and showered. This is what FaceTiming them is like.
They make faces to delight themselves.
Ok! I think I have 1 more Spain post!



























0 comments:
Post a Comment