11 weeks
Here we are at 11 weeks. Almost a 3 month old. I will say it again and again, I do NOT know where the time goes. When we look back at pictures from 11 weeks ago, it's hard to imagine that Kasper was ever that small!
11 weeks ago:
Today:
This was a pretty quiet week. Kasper and I spent a lot of time at home. I kept meaning to get out for a walk, but then the weather was always threatening rain. I didn't want to be caught in the rain with a stroller.
One of Rob's co-workers gave us a bunch of baby boy clothes. In the bag was a collared terry number that I CANNOT get enough of. I think it's about the cutest thing ever. I spent the better part of Monday photographing Kasper in that outfit.
I also cannot get enough of swaddled Kasper in his swing to take a nap. Kasper says he's tired by whining. I swaddle him up as he whines. I plop him in the swing and this happens. Every.Single.Time.
This face happens after the nap. (Shout out to Dad - Kasper loves you!)
We bought Kasper a mirror to encourage him during tummy time.
Fail. He chose to eat his burp rag.
I probably wouldn't want to stare at myself in a mirror either if it was going to make my head freakishly long.
We had a busy day on Wednesday. One of the Moms from baby class invited everyone over to her house for some "play time". The babies are still too little to play, but the Moms have a great time chatting! We were there for 3 hours! I'll encourage any new Mom to take one of these classes. You meet some really neat ladies. We have plans to go for a walk around the Lakes on Monday and hopefully some other fun get-togethers. Wednesday evening, I met my friends Hillari and Erin at Cafe Latte for dinner. I brought Kasper and as usual in social situations, he was a very good baby. Hillari and Erin are both Moms so I was able to pick their brains a bit on what babies should and shouldn't be doing at this point. I also got to have Cafe Latte chili.
I don't know if anyone has read the Wonder Weeks but I have and I think it's so interesting! According to the book, there are 8 "wonder weeks" that happen to every baby around the same times. They are at 5, 8, 12, 19, 26, 37, 46 and 55 weeks. Apparently around these times, babies are learning something new and it affects their behavior. So far, Kasper is following right along with his wonder weeks and I think week 12 hit him on Thursday. He was a different baby. Not fussy really, but different. The book says the baby will be listless, wanting to eat more but not really eating, having a messed up sleep schedule, and obsessed with their hands. This described Kasper perfectly on Thursday and Friday. He wasn't really into smiling or chatting, he gnawed on his hands like it was his job, he nursed twice as long as he usually does but spent most of that time fussing.
I wanted to take some pictures of K to show how big he's getting. I put him on his changing table and this is what happened.
And the closest thing I got to a smile
It was so unlike him to not smile on his changing table I was a little worried. I whipped out the wonder week book and felt a lot better knowing that he was most likely going through some sort of developmental advancement. Week 12 is the week of "smooth transitions" where the babies motions become less jerky and they can realize more subtleties in their worlds.
It was actually very weird. After the photoshoot, I made myself some lunch, put Kasper in his chair by the table and set a little toy on his lap like I always do in the hopes that he will notice it. (Side note: Does every parent worry that their child is somehow developmentally delayed? I worry that Kasper isn't rolling, playing with toys, lifting his head up, playing the banjo, etc, etc. Then I worry that it's because he has a small head and his brain isn't growing normally. Then I look at his head to asses the size and notice that the flat spot is getting worse. You see where this is going...)
Anyway, as I am eating my lunch and reading the Wonder Weeks I look over and what the hell is Kasper doing? HE HAS PICKED UP THE TOY AND IS HOLDING IT WITH BOTH HANDS AND IS PUTTING IT IN HIS MOUTH. Keep in mind the boy has not given any toy a second look before.
And finished
That was on Thursday. On Friday, he surprised me with these tummy time gems.
Head up! Not looking in the mirror but I'll take it! Also, that hair line sucks.
And back to the hands.
I feel like he developed leaps and bounds in those 2 days. I could SEE it happening. I am so proud of my (smiling again) boy! On the flip side of all those developments, big K's sleeping patterns were all out of of whack. Here is a rundown of our weeks sleeps.
Sunday - 6.5 hours then 2 hours
Monday - 5.5 hours then 4 hours
Tuesday - 3.5 hours then 3 hours
Wednesday - 8.5 hours then 2.5 hours
Thursday - 4 hours (until 1:30 am, then up at 3:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30) and NO NAPS on Friday
Friday - 7 hours then 3.5
Saturday - 4 hours then 2 then 2
It seems like he has a good night then a bad night. When will it get more consistent? I never know what to expect when I go to bed.
On Friday, I rewarded us on making it through the week with a nice walk around Lake Harriet. I bundled Kasper up in a bear suit.
Then I sat him up and he stayed like that!
Consider yourself warned, these are some of the cutest photos I have taken to date.
WHO IS THAT BOY?? He doesn't look like a little baby anymore!
On our walk. Not sleeping. Friday, Kasper decided that naps were for babies and didn't take one.
I'll wrap up the week by showing you another series of Kasper going to sleep. Much like putting him down for a nap in his swing, putting him in bed gives almost the same result. I'm standing behind him.
"Good night Kasper. No more giggling. Time to sleep. Quit looking at me. Stop smiling. Good night."
11 weeks - A week of "smooth transitions" - in went a baby, out came a bear cub that can hold a toy and pull off a collared terry one piece.
0 comments:
Post a Comment