Moving Day!
Hello again! We're back to having all of our technological comforts. What a crazy couple of days we've had! Obviously the closings went smoothly last week and we are now in our new home. Rob and I took Wednesday off to do the final packing and then load up the U-Haul. We had our final walkthrough for the new house in the morning and ended up being shown around by the sellers. I think they were still there on purpose to meet the people that were buying their house. They are older and are downsizing to a condo. We walked all around the house and yard to learn all the quirks and I got a gardening lesson as Mrs. Seller is a wonderful gardener.
We got basically everything packed up and a nice group of Rob's friends and family showed up after work to help load the truck. We completely filled a 26 foot U-Haul as well as 5-6 cars! Adding to that all the stuff completely filling our 10'x10' storage unit and I don't know how we had room to live in our little 800 sq ft house!
Our first closing was at 10 am Thursday so we had to be completely out by then. I had to bring the baby to daycare in the morning and was so nervous we weren't going to make it so we had my sister and Rob's Dad and Carol come over for the final push. We made it out but just barely.
One last look:
Yes I cried. I cried as I locked the door behind me. I sobbed all the way to the closing and I cried and sniffled through all the paperwork. I was embarrassed but was assured that it happened all the time. I just couldn't stop thinking about how that house was there through the most important events in our lives so far. We came home to that house when we got married. We brought Lois home to that house. We brought our first baby home to that house. I couldn't stop remembering those newborn days with Kasper and how I was home for 4 months with him in that house. Wah. I just love that place.
We went right from the sale of Emerson to Costco for lunch then to the sale of Oak Ridge. Fun fact - I grew up on Oak Ridge in Sioux Falls and now my kids get to grow up on Oak Ridge in Eden Prairie. We signed all the papers, got the keys and headed "home." The feeling of buying a new home is not unlike taking a new baby from the hospital. Like, they're just giving us these keys? And we can go right in the house?
Anyway, without further ado, here are move-in day photos of the new pad.
One of the basement
It's not an exhaustive collection of photos, but it gives you a good idea of the main living space. There is a bedroom in the basement that I haven't taken a picture of yet.
The layout of the house is wonderful and open but it's a little outdated. The previous owners must own stock in light yellow paint. We've already done some painting of a couple of the rooms which has made a big difference. The sunroom is by far our favorite room in the house. It doesn't have A/C which has been difficult when the temps are in the high 90's but there's a fan so it's bearable. There are 4 (!!) sliding doors in the sunroom which can be thrown open to make it very airy and there's a separate baseboard heater for use in the winter.
So that's the new place! We're busy making ourselves at home. It sure is different to have so much room!
I'll post house updates as they happen. I have big plans, of course. And I'll write Kasper's 28 week post separately. Lots to say.
1 comments:
Congrats on the new house, Jess! The sunroom looks great- I bet you will enjoy some very relaxing Saturday mornings there!
Post a Comment