Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cyclo-cross

Here I am, as promised, with a post about what we did Saturday morning. Rob has been really into bike riding lately and apparently in the winter, some cyclists move to a variation of the sport called cyclo-cross.

From Wikipedia:

"Cyclo-cross (sometimes cyclocross, CX, CCX, cyclo-X or 'cross') is a form of bicycle racing. Races typically take place in the autumn and winter [...], and consists of many laps of a short (2.5–3.5 km or 1.5–2 mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount."

There was a race out in Delano Rob wanted to do so Kasper and I tagged along to see what the fuss was all about.

While Rob was getting his (new, special "cyclo-cross" bike) ready, Kasper and I took a hike. It was a beautiful morning and I had coffee.

DSC_0470-1.jpg
DSC_0481-1.jpg
DSC_0498-1.jpg
DSC_0505-1.jpg
DSC_0509-1.jpg

Kasper ran down this big hill and had a great time. When it was time to turn around and walk UP the hill he took many breaks to look at the plants and eventually asked to be carried the rest of the way.

DSC_0510-1.jpg
DSC_0515-1.jpg

Here they are at the start!
DSC_0549-1.jpg

The gun went off and the bikers disappeared to somewhere. The course was pretty long and we stayed in one spot so we had some downtime while they were riding. Good thing I brought snacks.
DSC_0550-1.jpg
DSC_0551-1.jpg

Here they are! Rob is the third one.
DSC_0556-1.jpg

They ride around this course taped off with yellow tape. They apparently had to go over sand volleyball courts, up steep hills. This was a little series of switchbacks.
DSC_0564-1.jpg
DSC_0577-1.jpg
DSC_0579-1.jpg

At the end of the switchbacks they had to get off the bikes and jump over some gates.
DSC_0591-1.jpg
DSC_0594-1.jpg

Bye Papa!
DSC_0601-1.jpg

Time for books! I'm glad I was pretty prepared. I didn't know there would be so much waiting inbetween and I didn't want Kasper running on to the course.
DSC_0603-1.jpg
DSC_0605-1.jpg

Here they are again!
DSC_0608-1.jpg
DSC_0613-1.jpg

At 30 minutes, a bell rings signalling the last lap. Whoever is in the lead at the end of that lap wins. I think they did about 3-4 laps in this race.

Waiting at the finish.
DSC_0628-1.jpg

Good job Papa!
DSC_0632-1.jpg

Killing a little time before Rob made his way over. You can see him approaching in the background.
11.17.12 K faces

Rob said it was a hard course but he had a great time. Maybe Kasper will be a cyclist someday?
DSC_0656-1.jpg
DSC_0669-1.jpg
DSC_0673-1.jpg

Time to go home and warm up.
DSC_0681-1.jpg

And so ends the lesson on the mysterious cyclo-cross racing.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

About This Blog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP