Kruger National Park Pt. 1
Well, it seems some of you were somewhat underwhelmed by our inagural South Africa update. Remember that we had travelled for 24 hours by then! In fact, we travelled so long, I think Rob's feet rotted in his shoes.
On Monday morning, we boarded ANOTHER plane to Kruger National Park. It's something like 8 million hectares of protected land where african animals just do their thing and we watch them. We stayed in a rondavel (ours is on the right) which had a bed, bathroom and a little kitchen outside.

Basically you get up super early and drive around the bush looking for stuff. There are some animals that you get sick of seeing (impala)
On Monday morning, we boarded ANOTHER plane to Kruger National Park. It's something like 8 million hectares of protected land where african animals just do their thing and we watch them. We stayed in a rondavel (ours is on the right) which had a bed, bathroom and a little kitchen outside.
Basically you get up super early and drive around the bush looking for stuff. There are some animals that you get sick of seeing (impala)
and some that are always exciting! We saw lots of giraffe and elephants. We saw some rhinos hanging out ouside the park gate. We saw 2 sable, which apparently are quite rare. We went on a night drive one night, where we used spotlights to shine in the bush to catch eyes. Rob found us a female lion!! That was exciting! There is something called the "Big 5" in Africa. They are elephant, rhino, lion, cape buffalo and leopard. This group goes back to hunting times when these animals where the biggest 5 kills. We saw all but a leopard. In fact, this morning on the way out of the park, we saw a big rhino, then a herd of cape buffalo and then an elephant and a male lion at a watering hole! That's 4 of the Big 5 in about 15 minutes!
Apparently I'm going to have to do this in 2 posts because I can only get 2 photos at a time. I can't be bothered to figure out why.
We are now in Cape Town staying at a very cool place. We have an entire house! Maybe tomorrow, I'll share 2 photos of it!
4 comments:
I think Poppy is part impala
Wow! 4 of the Big 5 in 15 minutes; you guys must have been so excited! Robert has a knack for finding animals -- I don't know how he does it. I'm reading your blog at work tonight and I can't see the images posted in Kruger, pt. 2. I hope they'll show up when I'm on my computer at home. It sounds like you had a great safari!! I can't wait to find out where you'll go next! Stay safe and have fun! Love, Sandra
P.S. Does anyone know why the time is off on these posts? It's really 8:30 p.m. now and not 6:30.
Please catch a lion for Leif. Tomorrow is his birthday and he'd REALLY like one. Failing that, a leopard would be good too.
Fascinating that you only have a picture of some deer dressed like impala, yet you claim to have seen more impressive animals. Did you ever hear that story on how NASA faked the moon landing?
Well, I'm sure you did.
Post a Comment