Kasper Quinlin
Wow - I really suck at blogging! Kasper Quinlin Williams was born on January 1 at 10:07 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 8 ozs and was 21.5 inches long. Labor was no joke! I was induced at 39 weeks because of my hypertension. We got to the hospital at 7:45 am on New Years Day. I was fully expecting to be there awhile since inductions usually end up taking a couple days. They started me on Cytotec to "ripen" my cervix. Usually they have to give 2-3 doses of the Cytotec to start to see any changes on a closed cervix. After 4 hours, I had dilated a centimeter so they started pitocin around 3 pm.
I had a nice time in the hospital. I was able to finish the book I was reading, we laid around and watched some movies, very relaxing. Around 7 I moved to a rocking chair to play some iPad Monopoly with Rob while the contractions were now becoming more noticeable and regular.
Around 8 pm I was asking my nurse if I could just eat a little something because I was sooo hungry. Contractions got stronger, so I decided to lay in bed around 8:45. The contractions went from noticeable to very painful in probably 5 minutes. I had to start panting through them around 9 when I was deemed a 2-3 cm dilation. I was begging for an epidural at 9:15. They called the anesthesiologist so he was on his way. I was able to talk in between contractions but not through them. My Dr. had been in at 9:15 and was telling me they would probably break my water in a little bit to get things really moving. I decided to try to hit the bathroom before things got really rough around 9:30. I tried to stand up (with help of course) and was hit with another contraction, so I laid back down. As I laid back down with this contraction, I noticed that I had to push. The nurse checked me and I was already at 10 cm. At this point, things are a little blurry. Some time between 9:30 and 10:07, my water broke on its own, my Dr had to rush to the room, I pushed 3 times and the baby was born just in time for my Dr to get 1 glove on. It was the talk of the floor for the rest of the night. I think because I didn't push but for 6 minutes, the baby has a perfectly round head. Bonus! I never did get that epidural...
New baby!
He had these red raccoon eyes for awhile after he was born.
New family
We left the hospital Monday afternoon. I couldn't believe they just let us walk out of the hospital with a baby! It was a weird feeling.
In the car on the way home
It has been an adjustment to be sure. Lois was not sure about the baby that first night. It was a very long night. She was so upset that her tail even developed a droop! She's gotten a lot better which is a relief to us. It has been getting better each and every day as we get to know the little dude and his like and dislikes. We don't really have a routine yet, but that will come. We're just enjoying his company. He is such a sweet baby.
Bummer about the dry skin, Kasper!
With his parents
Seriously, is he not the cutest baby?
Ok! Now I'm up to date! Sorry it took so long. We only recently came up for air!
6 comments:
Congrats Jess & Rob! Kasper is really adorable. Also, thanks for sharing the birth story. Be proud of your hard work, Jess! I'm sure Rob was an awesome supporter.
Lois, Gracie can totally sympathize with your new lower rung on the family ladder. In 4 years, though, you'll have a great friend for playing fetch.
Welcome to the wonderful world of raising a boy!
Thank you so much for posting the story Jess! I can't wait to see you and to meet Kasper!
Love from across the Pacific... Emily & Devin
He is SO cute!! Thanks for posting your birth story - no epidural - you are a champ - even if it wasn't on purpose!!
Congratulation, Jess, Robert, and Kasper! That little guy is so adorable and I can't wait to see him again on Sunday!
Love from Grandma Sandra
Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL Baby boy. Your lives will now be all the richer, and NEVER calm again.
Thanks for letting us share in Kasper with this great blog. The photo grandma shared is now the wallpaper for my blackberry. We are all in love with him already. Love you all Debbie, Tim, Sela, Faith
Congrats to you and Rob! Welcome to the family little Kasper, we can't wait to meet you! He is so precious. Take care. Love, Stacy, Jason, and Marlee
Post a Comment