19 weeks
Well, we made it through our first week of daycare. Barely. Kasper did well Monday and Tuesday. He didn't sleep but he ate well and was pretty happy and chatty. They say he only sleeps 10-15 minutes per nap. I think he's getting used to sleeping with so much going on. At home he has a relatively dark quiet room to sleep in. Hopefully he gets used to it soon because he basically crashes as soon as he gets home which means I don't get to spend time with him in the evenings. Sigh.
Here is Kasper after his first day of daycare.
I can't get him to snuggle with me like this anymore! (One thing I miss about the newborn days.) His first day he didn't nap so when we got home, I tried to get him to sleep in his crib. Nothing. I tried in his bed upstairs. Nothing. So I just held him and he fell right to sleep. We stayed like that for a good hour before Rob came home and I had to get started on dinner. It was such a treat to have my boy sleep on my chest again and you'd better believe his head was wet with kisses by the time we got up. Oh how I love that boy.
Tuesday was about the same. After daycare, I threw K in the car and drove up to Maple Grove to meet my girlfriends for dinner. He was such a good baby. I didn't hear a peep out of him for the whole drive up. He was a good baby during dinner although he didn't seem to want anyone else to hold him. Then I didn't hear a peep out of him the whole drive home. I am so thankful I can take him places. The girls were meeting because one of us is leaving. Again. Em - I hope you enjoy California but remember that some of your heart is back here in Minnesota.
Tuesday night, Kasper DID NOT SLEEP. I wrote about it. I thought maybe he was overwhelmed with daycare or something. He hasn't been sleeping since I went back to work but this was especially bad. Wednesday morning he felt a little warm but the thermometer said 98.4 under his arm (add 1 degree to that for the actual temp) so off to daycare he went. He took a 2 hour morning nap at daycare (!!) and was "fussy" the rest of the day. When I picked him up, he was being held by a teacher and sort of cry moaning. He moaned all the way home and sounded so sad. I hadn't heard him cry like that before. We got home, I took his temp - 100.4. His poor nose was running, he was so warm and it was obvious he was uncomfortable. I took a video of it.
Bad Mama! Don't worry, I had given him some Tylenol and he was on his way to bed. He wasn't interested in nursing and I noticed that his diaper from daycare was completely dry. I put a cool rag on his forehead and the poor thing slept from 5 until the next morning waking up at 7:30 and 2 am to eat.
I had posted this picture in my Ode to Sleep post but Blogger had some issues this week and it's now gone.
I took the day off Thursday and took the boy to the Dr. He just has a cold but they wanted to rule out an ear infection, which they did. Side note - the boy is now 15 pounds. He has doubled his birth weight! K couldn't go to daycare because of the fever so Thursday was ours. K slept most of the day but when he was awake, he seemed to feel better as the day went on.
We had a great day. It's only been 2 weeks since I was home with him but for all I know, it could have been months. I missed it SO much. I love being home with him.
We did some great tummy time
Some lounging
Some sitting
Notice the snot bubble in this one
It was back to daycare on Friday where he was pretty much back to his normal self. He didn't eat as much, but he had a great time playing and when I came to get him, I think he would have rather stayed and played with his toy!
So we made it 4 of the first 5 days at daycare. While I am sure he is getting good care, I just don't feel 100% awesome about sending him away during the day. He doesn't sleep well - during the day or at night. I don't think he gets any tummy time during the day and you know I'm all paranoid that he isn't rolling yet. There's always some anxiety when I go to pick him up because I have to ask a bunch of times for all of my bottle parts and his clothes. He has some cut on his lip. And to top it off, yesterday every time I would nurse him, he would get these red splotches all over his face. They went away pretty quickly but I'm worried he's starting to be allergic to something in the milk. It's like he was a strapping young boy then went to daycare and is falling apart. Wah.
Rob was gone most of the weekend at a frisbee tournament and a bachelor party, so it was just me and my baby. Since the weather was crummy, we had nothing better to do but enjoy each others company.
This picture cracks me up. You can see the weird cut on his lip.
This week is a new week. Hopefully Kasper gets into a daycare routine where he actually sleeps. I think tonight we start sleep training. K woke up every hour on the hour last night and I just don't think the current arrangement is working. In to his own crib it is. Wish us luck.
Week 19 - Daycare is exhausting. For both baby and Mama.
1 comments:
Jess and Rob; what a hard week you all had! Maybe Kasper shows stress by the little breakouts on his face, and he probably just scratched his lip with a fingernail. I bet next week will go much better. That sleep training tonight should be very interesting. Good luck and have a better week!
Post a Comment