Sunday, August 26, 2012

Superior Getaway

This week's post will be mostly about Rob and me and our trip up North, but I do have a couple things to mention about the main attraction.

Kasper's last day in the infant room was Tuesday. It was bittersweet to pick him up that afternoon. He's had 1 teacher since he's started (last July) and a second for almost a year. The other 2 teachers are relatively new. Those teachers who have known him for awhile cried when I came to get him! It was obvious they'll miss him a lot. At least we walk by that room a couple times a day so he can wave at all his friends.

Tuesday was his last day because Rob and I left for the North Shore Wednesday afternoon! I wanted to be able to be there for his last infant pick-up so we kept him home Wednesday. We enjoyed the sunny morning and ate raisins - his new favorite snack!
DSC_0655.jpg
8.22.12 K raisin

We headed out after lunch and drove up to Duluth. We decided to stop in town for dinner before heading up to the campground. We got sandwiches from Northern Waters Smokehouse (that's a smoked salmon sammie, OMG) and sat by the water. It was SUCH a nice night! We even got to watch a big ship come into the harbor from far away. They move fast. This ship was 1,004 ft long.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

After dinner we buzzed up to Gooseberry Falls to set up the tent. It was around 5:30 at this point and we knew we had to be back to Duluth by 8 for a concert.
Untitled
We made it just in time to have a quick drink with the hosts before the show. Our friends Keely and Mickey - who were kind enough to host the whole family mere weeks ago - hosted 50 people in their living room to watch David Bazan!! It was crazy! I had heard a couple of his songs on the Current but wasn't up on his whole library. Apparently he does these "Living Room Shows" and Mickey and Keely's living room was chosen for him to come play music. They walked in, set up their 2 little amps and started playing while we all sat on the floor. It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to! That guy can SING. (He's the one on the left, and I almost touched him with my foot on accident because Rob and I were so close to him!)
Untitled
Untitled

We didn't make it back to the campsite in time to have a fire that night so we made one when we woke up. Campfires are one of the best things about camping.
DSC_0682.jpg
DSC_0677.jpg
DSC_0684.jpg
DSC_0685.jpg
Nothing like a s'more at 9:30 am.

It basically threatened rain all day Thursday so we stuck close to the lakeshore and the Falls. Fine by me, I just love this landscape.
DSC_0694.jpg
DSC_0695.jpg
DSC_0698.jpg
DSC_0704.jpg
8.22.12 R jump
DSC_0713.jpg
DSC_0720.jpg
DSC_0703.jpg

Skipping rocks
DSC_0721.jpg
DSC_0723.jpg

The Lower Gooseberry Falls (my personal favorite of the 3)
DSC_0734.jpg
DSC_0734.jpg

Playing with the shutter speed on the camera
8.22.12 gooseberry

DSC_0762.jpg
DSC_0782.jpg
8.23.12 Gooseberry

Lunch! Merlot from Moshin pairs wonderfully with mac and cheese in case you were wondering.
8.23.12 R lunch

It started to sprinkle towards the end of lunch so we holed up in the tent for awhile until it passed. We went back down to the shore before the next rain shower was expected.
DSC_0799.jpg
DSC_0809.jpg
DSC_0814.jpg

Dinner! More of that merlot with spaghetti sauce and meatballs I made ahead of time. Looks like we just ate on the towel Rob laid on the table after his shower.
DSC_0824.jpg

After dinner we went to one of the lodges at the park to go to an astronomy lesson! We got a little star wheel and learned how to use it. It was pretty fun! It was too cloudy to actually stargaze, though. We made do with another campfire.
DSC_0839.jpg

We also had fun trying to draw things with a burning stick (which we then replaced with a iPhone flashlight). How did we do?
8.23.12 fire art
My favorite
DSC_0863.jpg

It rained a lot of the night and it turned out we have a leak in our tent. Wah wah. It wasn't too bad. We got up Friday morning, packed up and headed out. We grabbed breakfast at this place.
Untitled

We had what seemed like a million stops on the way home but we made it home by 3-ish. It was Steph's birthday so we had a little party with pizza, red cake, pomegranate drinks and a new card game we're trying out.

We went to the Fair yesterday also for Steph's birthday. We got there early and left right as it started raining. I got most of my fair favorites but didn't feel panicked because I'll be there again Wednesday for work. I felt Kasper was being naughty the ENTIRE time but I don't know if it was just me.
Grumpy at the fair
Actually, he's been naughty ever since yesterday morning. Maybe it's because he's sick or has an incisor coming through but he has his whine on repeat and is acting out by throwing things. A lot. I only mention this in case I want to look back and wonder when it was he was being naughty.

Today Kasper and I ran errands in the morning and Rob and I did yard work in the afternoon. We finally ripped out a tree in the front yard. It's been on the to-do list since June-ish. We had fun playing in the hose Papa was using to water.
8.26.12 hose
DSC_0883.jpg
DSC_0885.jpg
DSC_0896.jpg
I like the rainbow following him.
DSC_0913.jpg
DSC_0927.jpg
Do you see a friend in the window?
DSC_0949.jpg
I went inside to start dinner and left a snack outside for the boy. This is what I saw when I looked out the window. Cute.
DSC_0960.jpg

For dinner I made The Pioneer Woman's BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. Make them immediately and pair with a summery IPA.
Dinner!

Whew! Another busy week. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

1 comments:

Sandra August 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM  

It looks like you two had a great getaway time up north! Good luck to Kasper tomorrow as he moves into the big boys' and girls' room for the entire day! Maybe a new craft project will be created and brought home.
-- Love, Grandma Sandra

Blog Archive

Contributors

About This Blog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP