Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Funflint Trail, Part 2

Where were we? Just getting to the lodge!

I can't be bothered to look back to see if I explained our destination but it's worth talking about again. One of my friends from SECOND GRADE and her husband bought a lodge up on the Gunflint with another couple. They've put a TON of work into it and it's just a delight. It's called Poplar Haus and you should check it out! They're still working on getting the main lodge up and running with a restaurant but the cabins are fantastic and there's a liquor store on the premises. What more could you need?
IMG_9448
IMG_9222
IMG_9225
IMG_9226
IMG_9227
IMG_9229
IMG_9235

Our cabin had a fantastic backyard with a fire pit, perfect hammock trees and an entry to the lake.
IMG_9237
IMG_9240
IMG_9241
IMG_9244
IMG_9248
IMG_9249
IMG_9253
IMG_9266
IMG_9268
IMG_9267
IMG_9271
IMG_9272
IMG_9279
IMG_9291

After we got in and had a look around, we took the canoe out on the lake and paddled around a bit. I didn't bring a camera because I couldn't be sure Marlo wouldn't tip the canoe over and in fact she lost her sunglasses in the lake and we almost went in trying to grab for them. Anyway, on our paddle we saw a MOOSE! It was standing in the water at the edge of an island and we think it was a young one. I have never seen a moose in the wild! It was so exciting! We also paddled alongside a beaver! He wasn't super pumped we were there and slapped his tail which was a little more fun for us.

DSC_1004.jpg
DSC_1009.jpg
DSC_1019.jpg
DSC_1027.jpg
DSC_1049.jpg
DSC_1056.jpg
DSC_1068.jpg
IMG_9312
IMG_9315
IMG_9317
IMG_9327
IMG_9329

Long day.
IMG_9332

We were up and in the lake bright and early Saturday morning!
DSC_1074.jpg
DSC_1096.jpg
DSC_1106.jpg
DSC_1147.jpg
DSC_1153.jpg
DSC_1159.jpg
DSC_1189.jpg

Inaugural hammock
DSC_1196.jpg
IMG_9338
IMG_9341
IMG_9350
IMG_9352
IMG_9372
DSC_1203.jpg
IMG_7939
IMG_7943
DSC_1220.jpg
DSC_1227.jpg
DSC_1230.jpg
DSC_1237.jpg
DSC_1271.jpg
IMG_9368

I got to have a very relaxing hang.
DSC_1280.jpg
DSC_1282.jpg
DSC_1283.jpg
IMG_9380
IMG_9383
IMG_9403
IMG_9411

Our friends Iris and Dove were at a lodge 30 miles north of ours with their parents and another family. Well, we actually passed Iris and her Mom around Grand Marais heading back to Duluth because Iris was sick with a kidney infection! Poor thing! She was in the hospital in Duluth from Friday until Sunday evening. Rob and Kasper went up there on Saturday afternoon while Marlo (and I) napped. Apparently the kids went off in that canoe and "explored".
IMG_7962
IMG_7964

We met that group for dinner Saturday night at the Gunflint Lodge. The view is spectacular - I believe that's Canada over there! The food was soooooo good and the kids had an absolute blast playing by the lake.
IMG_9418
IMG_9420
IMG_9425
IMG_7975
IMG_7976

Kasper got a new best friend in Porter. He's a grade older but they were basically the same boy.
IMG_7982

The children were running wild and eventually Kasper showed up like this.
IMG_8013
He said "I DON'T EVEN CARE! I'M AN EPIC DUDE DOING EPIC STUFF!" Classic. Then Kasper and Porter took their clothes off and went swimming in undies.

IMG_9437
IMG_9446

We brought Mark to Duluth and the other car brought Dove. We all met for breakfast at Trail Center before heading out. We didn't understand the size of the pancakes when each boy ordered one.
IMG_9450
IMG_8020
IMG_8023

We swung through Duluth then sat in insane traffic most of Sunday. It took 6 hours to get up on Friday and 10 hours to get back. Oh man thank goodness for the DVD player in the car.

What a fun time we had! It was so nice to get away for a weekend!

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

About This Blog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP